SAT Offset Procedures

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Wed, 09 Dec 1998 13:32:50 -0700 (MST)

Hi Avery:

I prefer to do the offsets after storing the FAC numbers, because,
afterwards you can go either way if you prefer to let the pitch float a
little bit.

To answer your second question, I still would prefer to do the calculating
at 440 pitch, then do whatever offset you prefer after that.

There is a faster way to measure the FAC numbers instead of carefully tuning
each of the notes of the stretch numbers. I do this if the pitch is fairly
close to standard. Here is how it works:

Play F3 with the machine set at F5. Hold down the MSR button momentarily to
get the LEDs to stop rotating (trim up with the Up/Dn CENTS buttons to
completely stop the LEDs). Hold down SHIFT and hit MSR to set the
machine to zero cents. Change octave to 6, play F3 and hold down the MSR
button momentarily to get the LEDs to stop rotating (again trim with CENTS
buttons). Hold down SHIFT button, touch STO STRETCH button to store this
value for the F3 stretch. Use the same approach for getting the value for
the A4 Stretch number and for the C6 Stretch number. After this, be very
sure to re calibrate the machine to A440 by holding down the SHIFT and TUNE
buttons together (you will notice that LEDs are stopped). Hit the TUNE
button again to get out of calibrate mode. Now you can calculate the tuning
by holding down the STRETCH button, holding down the MEM button, releasing
the STRETCH button, releasing the MEM button. If you are not careful to
reset the pitch to A440, the calculated tuning would be at whatever offset
the last Stretch number was calculated from.

Jim Coleman, Sr.