'Matt Finish' on New York Steinway

Wed, 09 Dec 1998 07:58:15 -0800

John,

I expect that you're referring to the rubbed-lacquer finishes that are commonly found
on U.S. built pianos.  Probably black.  Modern black lacquers do leave much to be
desired.

I expect that the 'it looked terrible' comment is in contrast to the high-gloss
polyester finishes that are common to European, Japanese, Korean and Chinese built
pianos.

Assuming that there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the lacquer finish on the
piano -- and there may have been, Steinway has been going through some real struggles
with environmental laws in NY that have affected their finishes -- then beauty is in
the eye of the beholder.  My eye is still offended by the several mm of clear plastic
piled over what is supposed to be some rare and exotic wood veneer.  What is the point
of building a piano with beautiful wood veneers and hardwoods if you're going to lay a
thick and -- to my eye ugly -- sheet of plastic over it?

Regards,

Del