ribs and stuff (was alternatives.)

Sat, 05 Dec 1998 12:16:09 -0800

Newton Hunt wrote:

> . . . .  I had though of clamping the long side and the one long post together
>
> and hope for an improvement.  I tried it with a Kuick Grip but could not
> get enough force to notice a change in pitch with an SAT or bubble
> movement.
>
> I would like to return with a pipe clamp and remeasure.  If I could
> notice a change, up or down, I thought it might be worth lowering
> tension, clamping and tuning to see if I could get a permanent change.

Newton,

You can try this, but I doubt that it will do much good.  The board is obviously
distorted.  I can speculate about the cause -- the panel was probably
excessively dry when it was ribbed -- but that won't alter the problem.

I can't think of an easy solution.  The most obvious would be to replace the
soundboard.  The piano is probably not worth the effort.  The buzzing could be
could cured by recapping the bridge, but that would still leave the soundboard
distorted.  I can think of a couple of other solutions also, but none that I'd
want to put in print.  At least not publicly.  I still have some pride left!

Obviously a no-win situation.  Perhaps next time the powers that be will seek
some advice before 'investing' in a piano.

Del