ribs and stuff (was alternatives.)

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sat, 05 Dec 1998 09:15:32 -0500

Del,

This small Knabe is from about the mid '70, I would guess.  The sound is
typical of the type except in the upper middle section where there is
buzzing caused by poor termination.  When I removed a string from the
bridge pins and retightened is when I discovered the problem.  Sustain
is good but power is hard to assess because of the size of the
sanctuary.  Small church but big room.

I had though of clamping the long side and the one long post together
and hope for an improvement.  I tried it with a Kuick Grip but could not
get enough force to notice a change in pitch with an SAT or bubble
movement.

I would like to return with a pipe clamp and remeasure.  If I could
notice a change, up or down, I thought it might be worth lowering
tension, clamping and tuning to see if I could get a permanent change.

ANy thoughts?

        Newton