alternatives for soundboard

Tony Caught caute@accessnt.com.au
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 18:07:47 +0930

-----Original Message-----
From: Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Friday, 4 December 1998 6:33
Subject: Re: alternatives for soundboard

Message in part only.

>> By the way, harpsichords *do* have ribs, often very complex ribbing, and
>> the design is very variable between different builders and regional
schools.

>Certainly, every harpsichord that I've ever seen had ribs.
>
>Regards,
>
>Del

Del and Stephen

The only harpsichord I have ever worked on was one partially built from kit
form by our local university.

I strung the frame and assembled the action for it.  The bottom of the unit
was sealed so I never saw the underside of the soundboard.  I assumed that
because the soundboard buckled under the stringing of the harpsichord top
and side hitches on the bridge that there were no ribs fitted.   Maybe they
weren't.   Three months after the first performance on this harpsichord, it
was dropped by some well intentioned people moving it.  Then four months
later it was put on the ground, no lid on it, in a dark passage and you know
what happened.  He was heavy and his feet were big.

Del

Are you the person that saw drawings of a modification kit for upright
pianos I developed ?.

Regards

Tony Caught caute@accessnt.com.au