Celeste Parts? Is it worth it?

Antares antares@EURONET.NL
Thu, 03 Dec 1998 22:02:59 +0100

>So, does anyone have experience with thesethings who would like to
>share?
>    Yes, unpleasant
>
>Does this sound like something worth investing in?
>    I doubt it unless you build all new insides.
>
>I suspect it is not.
>    Me too.
>
>Where would one search for parts on these things?
>    In your dreams.
>
>About how much would one of these cost new? (say, a basic medium quality
>instrument).
>    More than you think.  LOTS more.
>
>                                Newton

Yes, I have experience with celesta's.
I have worked with two kinds, the Schiedmayer with its awful action, and the new Yamaha celesta with its very nice and accurate grand action.

The choice between these two should be obvious.
I know that that is not the question, but I have learned to despise the Schiedmayer celesta for the very un-precise and untrustworthy action.

So my answer would be : if this is a Schiedmayer, do not make any further attempts, especially since it seems to be junked (as far as I understand from the former e-mailer).

Friendly greetings from,
Antares