REPETITION

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 02 Dec 1998 10:10:58 -0600

Hi Rogerio,
                 All the suggestions on this thread have been excellent,
one thought comes to mind if all centres and key bushings are correct.
Jack height with respect to balancier is some thing to check. On every
concert quality regulation I become anally retentive with regards to height
and position.  A must for max power and repetition.
 As a check try the following. very gently depress the heel of the jack you
should just feel a VERY small amount of friction as the tip of the jack
kisses the knuckle, the hammer should just 'wink'
or drop a small amount.  Releasing the jack slowly and watch it just return
to the spoon. If this adjustment is difficult to do, its a fair bet that
the knuckle has started to flatten. A cheater fix is to take 1/4" strip of
sand paper and strip file the knuckle to get the rounded shape  back on the
knuckle. Rub some powdered Teflon into the leather and try again.
  If the knuckles have flattened that badly perhaps it's time for new
hammers and shanks. On our University pianos after the third hammer
reshape, repetition does drop for the combined reason of loss of hammer
mass, and worn knuckles.
 Developing a very sensitive feel in you index finger, so that you can feel
every nuance of the jack is the best tip I can give to fine grand regulation.
 Hope this helps, but please post the your findings, we are all curious.
Regards Roger

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina