Standard Pitch

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 22:09:17 EST

In a message dated 11/29/98 2:53:07 PM Central Standard Time,
JTTUNER@webtv.net writes:

<< If I may ask one more question.  Was there a reason A-440 was decided on
 as the standard pitch? I guess they could have decided on any number,
 but why A-440?

 Thanks,

 Jim Turner >>

As I said in my post, I've always *heard* (in conversations with other piano
technicians or taught by a PTG instructor in a class;  I have not seen this
*written*)  it was simply a nice, round, convenient figure that was more or
less the mean point between the lowest and highest pitches that were common at
the time.

 It really could have been virtually *any* number.  I hope there is someone
who has some convenient access to this historical information.  There seems
always to be some propensity for dissent on the question of pitch.  It would
be enlightening to know all about the reasoning for the selection of the
figure, 440.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin