alternatives for soundboards

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 22:42:57 EST

In a message dated 11/30/98 1:59:00 AM Central Standard Time,
pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:

<< Once the tree is cut, by the way, wood is no longer 'living.'  It is dead.
It
 becomes simply a fiber-reinforced plastic with the unfortunate characteristic
of
 being highly effected by even moderate variations in humidity. >>

Even if it is "plastic" and the material is petroleum based, it still would be
an organic material therefore it was once "living" but is now "dead".

I have really enjoyed reading the comments of  all on this subject.  Like
most, I think I would always appreciate  the traditional but I can easily see
that change is on the horizon.  It is a principal of science, research and
development to strive to make what was once thought impossible a reality.

The thought of a well designed laminated soundboard sounds exciting the way
Del describes it.  I see virtually no reason why a superior soundboard which
is impervious and unaffected by humidity changes could not someday be
developed.  If there is money to be made in doing so, it will happen.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin