Answering Capabilities (was Answering Machines)

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sat, 01 Aug 1998 00:31:35 -0400

Hi Zi!

My apologies to the group. This is a long response to Zi, but hopefully you'll
find some meat on the bones!

I review my gadget-quo on a regular basis, and my phone gadget options at
least
once a year. I've tried many systems, and even more work-arounds, so will
offer
my take on your questions:

At 08:23 PM 7/30/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Computer Modem Users -- Is computer security an issue for you?

'Puter is generally tweaked to not be responsive or friendly to anyone other
than me. In the context discussed (using computer as answering machine), I
wouldn't have any concerns about this.

>How about threats of lightning?  I've heard some wild stories about what
>lightning is capable of when it comes to destroying computer equipment.

Stories are true, results sometimes wild, sometimes ugly. My worst case was
seeing a black hole the size of a 50-cent piece through the top of the modem's
case, and the part that caused the hole stuck in the ceiling. (I think I still
have that modem in the attic). Usually, the problems are not as dramatic --
the
component just quits working (quick death), or works in an unpredictable
fashion (slow death).

>I've also heard reports about how useless the commonly available surge
>protectors are in the event of a good *hit*.  (For a detailed discussion of
>this I would be happy to forward a lengthy e-message on the subject written
>by my dad, an electrical engineer whose specialty is high-voltage pulse
>power.)  Best advice -- unplug the computer (and your message collecting
>capability while you're at it).

Dad is right! It's the pulses (spikes) that usually nuke electronic equipment.
In spite of this, since 1981 I've always left my equipment on 24-hours a day,
except when modifications or repairs are being perfomed. I've never regretted
this practice.

>Uh, I think I would rather risk losing a little answering machine than the
>entire computer set-up when you consider the frequency of thunderstorms in
>this area ... just my opinion.

Altough I have the cabability, I don't use 'puter for an answering machine. I
enjoy multiple use tools, but in some situations, don't like to "put all my
eggs in the same basket". Living in thunder alley, I replace an answering
machine on the average of every 12~18 months, usually due to a lightening
spike
via the phone line. And, I've also bought my share of replacement modems for
the same reason. I'm still not going to turn the computer off, because that
has
it's own set of surge characteristics, and shortens the MTBF ratings of
certain
components (hard drives for example).

I do have AC line protection. It's not a 'May Day' (battery backup) device,
rather an autotransformer. It's about the size of a cinder block, and
weighs as
much. This keeps spikes on one side of the transformer -- the computer side
doesn't "see" the spike. I also have phone line protection (for what it's
worth, so again your Dad is right). It has an indicator to tell me if the line
has been compromised. If (when) that happens, it'll be cheaper to replace the
surge protector than repair it. You might ask Dad for sources for industrial
phone line protection devices that are =cheaper= than replacement answering
machines and/or modems. In my experience, replacing the damaged equipment is
the more cost effective approach!

>Digital Users (including phone company services) -- Do you ever run into
>message storage or portability problems?

I was one of the first to subscribe when the service became available here. I
had a three-piano sale pending when I subscribed, and it was storm season
here.
When I checked my messages, it was unintelligible (contaminated). I got off
the
service immediately. I later determined that a lot of people had subscribed to
the service, and it simply overloaded the equipment. I never went back to it.

>One of the things that bothered
>me about the digital machine I had was that there was no tape I could pluck
>out of the machine when there was a] a message I wanted to keep for
>posterity [cut]

Other's have discussed their TAD's (telephone answering device). This is where
a DAM (a Harveyism for digital answering machine) excels! A digital machine,
unlike a tape unit, permits deleting certain messages and keeping the rest. I
keep the important stuff until I'm in a position to deal with it. It saves a
lot of note-scribbling, by using the DAM as a filing cabinet.

>Call-Forwarding Users -- do you have a problem with junk (solicitation)
>calls? [cut]

Everyone does. Here's an approach where you can be selective, save money, and
beat the system at the same time. Although I have call forwarding through the
phone co., I don't typically use it. Instead, my DAM has built-in call
forwarding capability. It doesn't work in real time. Instead (and when
activated), it accepts a message from a caller, hangs up, waits a short time,
then dials out to a pre-selected number. In this case, the pre-selected number
is my cell phone. When I pick up the cell phone, there is a custom recording,
in my voice, that says "Hello, Jim Harvey has voice mail waiting". This kludge
has worked quite well for me, since I (a) maintain anonymity, (b) keep my cell
number private, (c) know when there is 'activity' at the office. If I don't
respond to the cell phone immediately, it then activates the cell provider's
answering machine. Whenever it's convenient, I then use the remote
functions on
the DAM to listen to calls. IOW, I'm in control of when I respond, return
calls, etc.

Requirements for this 'kludge':
1. regular phone line
2. cell phone (w/optional voice mail capability)
3. DAM with call forwarding capability (in this case a Sony SPP-AQ600)

Sorry to be so wordy, but hope this helps.

Jim Harvey, RPT
harvey@greenwood.net