Philips Piano

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 17:53:52 -0300

Hi List,
H.&J. Philips made pianos in Halifax, Nova Scotia from 1845-59. This is
according to the book 'Downright Upright' by Wayne Kelly. He has four
references to the name.
I worked on one a few years ago and got it operational. As I recollect
all I had to do was copy some dampers, modify some hammers to fit, and
redo a few hinges. Not knowing any better I just used drum head
material, which seemed strong and fitted the slot. It has no give
sideways either.
The owner was not interested in authenticity and just wanted it
operational at a minimum cost. The customer is the boss and as long as
you are not going against your beliefs, I see no harm in following their
wishes.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.