A Curious Statement reply

George Gilliland lgd@epix.net
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 11:13:41 +0100

I am not a professional technician, but I do have a strong interest in the
technical aspects of pianos, do some tuning of my own, and have dealt with
perhaps two dozen technicians in the eight years I've been playing.

And I can say that my observation is that the more a tuner leans toward
being a musician, the more he/she seems accept the the differences in tone
quality between various (good) pianos (not Kimballs). The tuners I've met
who are more technician than musician will always say "get a Yahama."

IMO, that's because it's easier to hear the partials on a Yahama, they're
hardly ever out of regulation, and therefore they're "better" pianos.

Aside from technicians, I have also observed that there are surprisingly
few musicians (of any levels of achievment) who have a very clear and
distinct idea of precisely what kind of voice they want from a piano.

The number of piano-playing people I've met and talked to about this is
probably fewer than 75, so this is a rather small sampling, but those who
actually -did- know exactly what they wanted virtually all owned either a
Steinway that they'd spent a lot of time voicing and fussing with, or some
kind of North German piano that they've simply paid a lot of money for.

And among this small group of perhaps 10 people, only one played a Yahama,
and this person was a teacher, a recent Russian emigre, and a superb
performer and reader, who'd had it loaned to her, and who told me she was
looking for (but couldn't find) an Ibach.

FWIW, these are my actual observations.
George Gilliland

Little Garden Design
134 Broad Street