Bridge repair

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 22:32:55 -0500

I let down just the bass strings in order to slip the wire underneath.  I
used two sizes.  The wire was then pushed against the upper pins
	I put the wire under 7 of the first notes of the bass, and liked the
sound, so then put a larger wire under the last notes because I thought a
little more bearing there would sound better.   I used only a rocker
bearing guage.. However the size should depend on your situation, so as
they
say, "individual requirements may vary".But I doubt if you could go wrong
using size American guage #12 through #16.
	Some notes do  not have wire under them.  I can not pick them out without
looking.   There seems to be longer sustain with the wire, but a thinner
tone.  But the strings don't sound good to begin with, so they will get
replaced along with the bridge cap.
	I do not lower all of the strings in the piano,  just to lower the bass
notes, to answer the other part of your question.
Richard Moody

----------
> From: Helen Pengelly <pengelly@insidenet.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Bridge repair
> Date: Monday, April 27, 1998 1:16 PM
>
> Hi Richard
>               I was curious about how exactly you installed the wire.
Did
> you
> let down the tension of all the strings across the board or just  the
bass
> section?
> Also what gauge string did you use?
> John Pengelly
>
> ----------
> > From: Richard Moody <remoody@easnet.net>
> > To: pianotech@ptg.org
> > Subject: Re: Bridge repair
> > Date: April 25, 1998 10:13 AM
> >
> > Hi Joe
> > 	I just did that to a bass bridge in a piano I own.  Meissner  52"
> > upright. This is because there was so much negative bearing, the
bridge
> > cap (in sections) was pulled off (after being glued down with CA).
> Don't
> > ask why I did not determine bearing before I did ANY bridge repair.
(So I