School contracts- Reply for Dave B.

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@nau.edu
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 08:52:15 -0700

PDtek wrote:

> The Des Moines public school district sends bid forms to all of the area piano
> techs. The winning bid is usually in the neighborhood of $10 per piano for 265
> pianos. We can only imagine the kind of service they receive for that price.
> One stipulation in the contract that has always scared me away states that the
> pianos are to be tuned during the summer. Then, if anyone in the music
> department determines in October that the pianos have not been properly tuned,
> the tuner must retune the pianos again at no additional cost to the school
> district. Well of course the pianos aren't going to be in tune by October
> after being tuned amid the summer heat and humidity! This IS Iowa we are
> talking about.
>
> Dave Bunch

Hey Dave,

Being a former "Des Moinesite" I can tell you that I have serviced a
good number of those pianos. From experience I can tell you that most of
them are junk. Working for Rieman's, however, I NEVER was paid as low as
$10.00, in fact I was always paid the normal rate, via the dealer. And I
NEVER tuned one for free. If this is the bid someone sent you then
somebody is clearly trying to rip you off- don't let them get away with
it, I assure you they have more money then that. I remember one time a
couple of years ago when the contract bidding came around and we were
told the minimum was to be $30.00 per tuning. I think P.O. got the
contract for a little more than that. Even without a contract though, I
was called out occasionally to do school jobs ranging from Indionola to
Ankeny, and even tuned a couple as far away as Jefferson once. Go
figure. Anyway, $10.00 is way out of line. If you decide you ever do
want the contract I can assure you they will go much higher. If you e-me
privately I can also give you a name that may be of help in getting a
foot in the door.

Best of luck, say "hey" to Dave L. for me if you see him.

Rob Goodale, RPT