your mail

Alexander Galembo galembo@psyc.queensu.ca
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 08:54:06 -0400

Dear List,

After analysing the detailed explanations to my question about wolf tones
(wolf intervals) in pianos, that I have gotten from List members (thanks to
all of them) and from  literature, I understood that I have a great
research interest not to wolf intervals but to what Jim Coleman described as:

>... the high partial howls which can be heard in Bass
>strings when there is a near coincidence between a transverse >partial and
>a longitudinal partial on the same string.

My questions are:

1) Are this "howl"  exactly the same that what was called "wild string" in
the message from Michel Lachance?:

>If we understand wolftones as being sympathical partials that are
>slightly conflicting with each others, causing some beats in the >pitch,
we do encounter this phenomenon in pianos on a quite >regular basis.  We
call it "wild string".

2)Can anybody provide me to magnetic or computer records  with these
"howls" and "wild string" sounds?

Thanks,

Alex
Alexander Galembo, Ph. D.
NSERC-NATO Science fellow
Acoustics lab, Dept. of Psychology, Queen's University
Kingston ON  K7L3N6
Canada

Tel. (613) 5456000, ext. 5754
Fax (613) 5452499