Repinning or repinning

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 14:35:31 -0700 (MST)

Hi Jim:

When we use the term "repinning", we are usually referring to flange
repinning. If your conversation is centered around string work, we might
inadvertently speak of repinning, but only because we are concerned with
tuning pin situations. I guess one just has to know the context of a term
sometimes.

You can make your tuning pin punch into a height gauge by merely taping
a semi rigid material to the side of the punch. Set it so that when the
coil of the wire is 1/8 to 3/16 from the plate, the gauge is 1/8 inch from
the plate. You can usually judge this between +/- 1/16". It seems to me to
better if you do this final level after lifting coils, tapping coils, chip
tuning, tapping coils. Well, what if one pin is already too low? Fix it
now. Loosen the pin or pins affected, lift becket out, back out tuning pin
one or two turns, reattach becket, lift coil, tap coil, chip tune, tap coil.
You'll be glad you did. This you do for yourself. Your customer will
probably never know, but you will, and the technician who follows you will
know.

Jim Coleman, Sr.