Corkless bridle straps

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 12:24:30 -0500

Dear Patrick,

I must confess that I have never used clip-on bridle straps.  They would
probably work all right, I just don't like the looks of them.  As far as
using tacks to attach bridle straps, you run a big risk of splitting out
the catcher shank at the place where the tack is inserted.

If you look closely, I think that you will find that the bridle straps and
catcher shanks were originally glued in at the same time into the same hole
in the hammer butt.  If you have any bridle straps that are still intact,
you can find the appropriate length of replacement strap to use.  Use the
sample and cut all of the remaining bridle straps to the same length.  Take
a sharp X-acto knife and cut the old bridle straps off flush with the
hammer butt.  Then take some wood glue (like Titebond II) and put a spot of
glue on the bridle strap at the end.  Then use some high tech tools (your
fingers) and push the spot of glue up against the underside of the catcher
shank at the place that it is inserted into the hammer butt.  Press the
bridle strap with your fingers to get good contact for the glue to hold.
Do the same procedure 87 more times.  Let the glue dry for an hour or two,
and then hook up all of the bridle straps and you are done, except for
adjusting the bridle straps after the action is back in the piano.

I learned this from Randy Potter.  Good luck!

Sincerely,
David Vanderhoofven