SAT offset question

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 09:08:40 -0600

>Pianos do not go out of tune evenly.  The bass is usually higher than
>the rest of the piano and the treble is lower than the middle so a
>different compensation factor is used in each section which cancels the
>offset.
>
> Newton
> nhunt@jagat.com

Thanks Newton and Keith.  I didn't think of that.  I am guilty of just
measuring a couple of notes in the middle and taking between 25% and 33%
(actually, closer to 25%) of the cents flat and adding that across the
board.  I do notice that if I add too much I am lowering the bass but only a
little and the second tuning comes out nice.

I made a major boo-boo after restringing.  I forget how I did it but while
attempting to add 10 cents to a tuning, the SAT ended up all fouled up.  I
didn't notice anything wrong until it was telling me to tune B2 and C3
(partial change, I believe) to the same note!

"If all else fails, read the instructions"   Doesn't work in this business!

Glenn