Ebonized Case???

VOCE88 VOCE88@aol.com
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 22:48:14 EDT

<< Greetings all,

 Just contacted by a Houston rebuilder to bid the repair/refinish of a
 7'10" Grotrian-Steinweg built around 1903-1908.  Current owner purchased
 it in the mid-50s from the original owner (whom he lived with while
 studying music in Germany.)  There is sentimental value as well as
 intrinsic value.

 I am unfamiliar with the turn-of-the-century method of "ebonizing" a
 piano.  In this case, the veneer has virtually deteriorated to the point
 of disintegration.  It literally crumbles in your hand.  The veneer is
 loose from the core wood all over the instrument.  It has been suggested
 to me that the process used in coloring the veneer black impregnated the
 veneer with an acid substance that has caused this disintegration.

 The obvious question is:  What to do now?
 (1)  Is there an epoxy substance that will restore the wood fibers of
 the veneer, or will it have to be stripped and re-veneered?  (2) How
 were pianos "ebonized" a century ago and is this related to the veneer
 problems today?  (3) Did the ebonizing process also attack the core
 wood, or worse, is the inner rim affected and in the process of
 de-laminating?  (4) What other problems am I overlooking and what other
 obstacles might I encounter?

 Awaiting your sage advice, >>

Hi Danny -

     Veneers deteriorate for many reasons. Although I have never heard of the
acid effect that you are speaking of, I have run across a good amount of ebony
pianos with this problem. When a piano has these sorts of serious problems -
the only true answer is to re veneer the piano. We are currently doing this to
an ebony Boesendorfer (170). Fortunately, the legs aren't veneered. (Very
fancy - Thank goodness we don't have to veneer THEM)

     When doing a lot of world class pianos that are also world class
furniture, (like your Groatrian) a veneer press makes this work quicker,
easier, and more professional looking.

Good Luck

Richard Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co