Dubious Nutritional Content (was, and still is: Off Topic)

Bill Ballard yardbird@sover.net
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 22:46:33 -0400

On Mon, 20 Apr , Susan Kline <skline@proaxis.com> wrote:
>>"Baa, Ram Ewe....Baa, Ram Ewe,
>>To your breed, To your fleece, To your clan be true
>>Sheep be true.......Baa, Ram, Ewe"
>>Conversation starter in uncertain social situations
>
>Could you, perhaps, enlarge on which uncertain social situations this would
>be appropriate to? Enquiring minds wish to know ...
>

>Susan

One might think that if I were the lonely Mac user in a room with eleven
Wintel users (the current proportions, I believe), that would be an
uncertain social situation. But I had something else in mind. The quote
comes from the movie "Babe", and is the "letter of introduction" that our
hero, the pig needs to get cooperation from a group of sheep unfamiliar to
her. Do you remember the old sheep dog on the farm, whose purpose in life
it was to keep the local sheep in line, by  barking at them and snapping at
their heels whenever they did something against his rules. There he was,
sent running back to the farm fields to ask as nicely as he could, from
these animals he'd spent his life annoying, the crucial secret password. I
was thinking that if all you know how to do is bark and snap, all you'll
ever be is an annoyance.

>At least our table manners are good. That's what the "off topic" is about.
>Susan
>P.S. I'm honored to once again be included in such an illustrious group.

Speaking of which, I never used to like luncheon meat, but I'm now buying
it at the local Food Coop, where the deli manager assures me that the what
of the meat isn't from a recycling project is  from free-range stock, and
the olives and pimentos are specially purchased from a  Fair-Exchange"
farmers' cooperative in Central America.  The sodiem comes from arctic
water, too. Used to taste like spam, now it tastes just like chicken.

Did I tell you. I've started on a strict Historical Compass policy. If on
the  piano, I see any music at all from the classical period or earlier, I
only tune the middle five octaves. The 1st and 7th octaves are completely
ignored. Admittedly, my tuning business now specializes in a narrow field.
But as a result, I now have plenty of time to promote this policy on PTech.

Bill Ballard, RPT
New Hampshire Chapter, PTG

"Round here we don't talk unless we can improve in the silence."
    Ron Rude, local Public Radio Commentator.