Back to coil tapping, momentarily

JIMRPT JIMRPT@aol.com
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 20:25:47 EDT

et al;
 On the Kawai GE1 I am restringing, correction have restrung. I conducted some
measurement tests on coil tapping/evening/leveling.
 Procedure was:
1.  After the first chipping I raised and tapped coils, no measuring but as
usual there were very significant changes in each note.
2. after 2nd chipping and two tuning passes (SAT) I tapped the coils again
with the following results..all measured from 440 SAT temperament.
F3: -58 cents
A3: -60 cents
F4: -63 cents
A4: -43 cents (low because I fooled with this note most?)
F5: -68 cents
A5: -71 cents
F6: -77 cents
A6: -82 cents

3. Last night I increased the page by 5  cents (A440 +5cents) and tuned the
thing for the seventh time.  It sat all day without being touched and I just
went over and tapped the coils again. This time there was a spread of from 10
cents(F3) to 23 cents(A6) almost evenly divided/graduated through the same 8
measured notes.

  Based on these measurements I would say that tapping definitely changes
tensions in string length (and should be a good adjunct to tuning stability?)
  So there it is, use it as you will.
Jim Bryant (FL)