Balance Rail Pin Replacement

Wimblees Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 15:22:41 EDT

<< I recently was asked to work on a piano that has been "moused".
 The little vermin did their little disasterly deeds throughout the entire
 piano.  I can salvage or replace most of it.  However, I have never had
 to replace an entire set of balance rail pins before.  Anything that you
 can give in the way of instructions, tips, black holes, etc. will be
 greatly appreciated. >>

Replacing balance rail pins is not very difficult. 2 bits of advice. When
removing them, use an end cutter. But don't just jank them out. Place a block
of wood next to the pin, and use it as a fulcrum to pull out the pin. This
will bring the pin straight out of the hole, and will not make the hole out of
round.

The second bit of advice to leave the end two pins, on both the naturals and
the sharps, in place. When replacing the new pins, use the end pins as a guide
along which to put the new ones. You might have to glue size some of the pins.

It is presumed you are going to order the right size pins.

Good luck

WIllem Blees  RPT
St. Louis