Removing bridges

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 09:46:18 -0500 (CDT)

Paul,

   I'm sending you a rather long compilation of bridge posts that I've
saved from past discussions. A little too long, perhaps, for the list.
Maybe some
of it will help.

Avery

>Dear List,
>	A good laugh is good for whatever ails ya.  I had a guy phone me just
>today that wanted to know if I could use the iron frame from a piano he had
>torn apart to get out of his house.  He thought it might be useful in case
>I had another one break.
>	I don't have that problem, but I have a 1915 Heintzman upright
>transposing
>piano in my shop that needs both the upper treble and the bass bridges
>replaced.  I think the cracks are a bit beyond an epoxy repair.  My problem
>is that every other bridge I have ever replaced literally fell off when I
>removed the strings and I have never had to remove a bridge that is solidly
>in place.  I have thought about making a paper imprint of the bridge pins
>and then routing off the bridge caps and replacing. The plate is rather
>close to the treble bridge and so any kind of chisel would probably not
>work.
>	I have never taken a Heintzman completely apart down to the
>soundboard and
>the keybed appears to be glued onto the sides and would therefore present
>its own problems.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Paul Plumb, B.Mus.Ed., Associate member of PTG
>Plumb Pianos
>London, Canada

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4893
713-743-3226
atodd@uh.edu
http://www.music.uh.edu/

 o  For sale: an antique desk suitable for lady with thick legs and
    large drawers . (Classified Ad)