Funny maybe Not so Funny Stories.

PDtek PDtek@aol.com
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 02:00:20 EDT

I arrived at a couples home to tune their Kimball studio. They mentioned that
there was a sticky key and would I please fix it. They then left the room, I
pulled the top panel and music desk and found inside a crispy, new fifty
dollar bill. My first thought was that they were playing some perverse mind
game with me to see if I would tell them what I found. After all, I could see
no way that the money could have accidentally gotten inside the piano. Or who
knows, maybe they were hiding money from each other. When I showed it to them
they were flabergasted, and thanked me profusely for being so honest. I still
wonder how it got in there.

One funny story. I tuned a vertical in a house when no one was there, being
instructed to let myself in. The family cat was unusually friendly, and since
I like cats, I spent a few minutes getting aquainted, after which he wandered
off. When I was about done tuning, finishing off the treble, I suddenly heard
the sound of a bass note playing. Startled, I turned around to see the cat,
sitting on the bench, paws on the keys. He had discovered that if he pushed on
that white thing, something in the piano would jump. He played the note again
and then jumped up to attack the moving hammer. I put him on the floor and he
immediately jumped back up to resume his routine. Anyway, I had to finish
tuning against the background of repeating bass notes.
Made me think of a new twist on an old theory. Put 1000 cats in a room with
1000 pianos and eventually one will play Meloncholy Baby.

Dave Bunch