Stories - non tech

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 22:44:06 -0500 (CDT)

To whomever asked for it, you asked for it. This is my August 1994 newsletter.

"It ain't the fall I mind, so much; it's the sudden stop."

Trajectory: The path described by an object moving in space; esp., the path
of a projectile.

This is not normally the sort of descriptive word we use in our day to day
dealings with pianos. As a rule, we generally tend to think of pianos as
basically monolithic units having roughly the weight and mass of the
heelstone of any famous Paleolithic Druid Observatory you could name. This
is essentially true, but (I'm sure you are beginning to fear) not the whole
story. Despite their mountainous presence, pianos almost universally harbor
a secret wish to fly.

Nearly all of you have seen the aftermath of a piano's ill fated attempt to
"Slip the surly bonds of earth" and grab some air. This sort of desperate
bid for freedom usually occurs during the physical relocation of the
instrument, as in the change of domicile or the unreasonable insistence of
some member (the boss) of the house that the piano must be moved to a floor
either higher or lower than the one it currently occupies. In the case of an
altitude relocation within the house, the piano's chances for aerial freedom
are somewhat limited.  The best it can realistically hope for is a brief but
intense rush down a flight or two of stairs hoping that it's progress isn't
disappointingly impeded by any slow or inattentive individuals down below.
The folks on top aren't a problem.  When the piano initially breaks and
runs, they immediately yell, let go, and jump back out of the way. No matter
how sharply honed the reflexes of the "downhill" contingent of the moving
team are, it's still pretty tough to beat a stampeding piano to the bottom
of a flight of stairs. Catching a charging piano is something most people
don't instinctively jump to do. Many a well meaning helper has discovered
this as he suddenly finds himself all alone in the path of a rogue piano.
The final alternative, at least in the narrow enclosed stairways leading to
most basements, is to attempt to climb over the top of the rapidly
descending instrument and get to a place of safety among the leaping and
yelling "uphill" faction of the moving team. This would seem to be the more
attractive alternative, affording the best opportunities for immediate
survival and subsequent retribution, but I have yet to see this done
successfully.

The process of relocation from one residence to another offers a much richer
range of possibilities for the aerobatically inclined piano. Imagine a
large, heavy item on a narrow wheelbase four wheeled dolly, balanced at the
top of a sideless ramp, six feet above a concrete surface by a crew of two
who, less than thirty six hours ago, were flunking out of arts and crafts at
Light Lode University. Now, ACTION! Sometimes, pianos don't need any
nominally human help to take the plunge from a moving van. I've seen the
results of these spontaneous bursts of gravitational optimism. Use of the
word "burst" here is not altogether unintentional as the results of a piano
leaping out of a moving van without the aid of ramps or any other altitude
modification prosthesis can affect a surprising amount of real estate. also,
to avoid any misunderstanding concerning the designation "moving van", let
me clarify that the vans were of the moving variety and not, themselves, in
motion at the time of the incidents. Pickup truck moves, however, are a
different story.

The first year I was in this business, I got a call from a reasonably
harmless sounding individual inquiring whether I would like a free piano. My
personal cynicism not yet having developed to it's present degree, I asked
him about the circumstances surrounding this admirable philanthropic
gesture. "Oh hell", he said, "The damn thing fell off the truck." Wow! This
was still new to me and I just had to see this for myself. I got the
directions to the intersection where the piano still was (it had apparently
happened about ten minutes before he called) and headed out. What I found
was the remains of a piano at peace with it's life's ambitions. The guy
moving it had, with the help of another individual, muscled it into the back
of the pickup. They collectively reasoned that pianos are heavy, like
gravel, wouldn't move around, also like gravel, and therefore needn't be
tied down. They then drifted from their basic gravel analogy by installing
the moving accomplice in the back with the piano to hold it in case of load
shift. BZZZZZ! Wrong, thank you for playing! They should have stuck with the
gravel program and had the poor guy in the cab where he was safe.  The
piano, sensing that the walls were down, seized it's opportunity on the
first curve and, shrugging off the panicky attempts of the cargo
master/smashee to restrain it, took majestic flight over the port side and
rolled casters over lid prop at forty miles per hour, shedding any parts
unnecessary to the process, along fifty feet of ditch. It met a violent end
but, for a brief but glorious moment, It flew! The guy in the back was
vastly impressed on the inadvisability of fielding pop-fly pianos and didn't
even have to heal up afterwards. He lucked out, bigtime! Education of any
sort is enormously enhanced by massive infusions of adrenalin. The absence
of broken bones and blood was just a lucky bonus. By the time I arrived,
they had both already passed the babbling panic stage, made a relieved
injury inventory, and passed into a state of goofy embarrassment. We stood
around making amusing observations while they gradually wound down enough to
help me toss the carcass et al into my truck. I hauled the remains away for
odd hinges, brackets, lumber and screws (I SAID it was my first year).
Altogether, it was mostly a happy ending. I won (screw drawer seed), the guy
in the back won (he lived), and the piano won biggest of all (at least in
the flamboyance category). The only loser was the owner of the now damaged
pickup and piano kit. Fortunately, he was lucid enough to be grateful that
no one was squashed, so the rest of the disaster was a cinch.

Pianos aren't always so flagrant about their attempts at flight. They will
also occasionally throw themselves off stages or platforms. This may be a
final act of despair at never getting a chance at an accompanied pickup
ride, but could just as easily be an enraged attempt to kill the drummer.
It's been considered by more than just the piano, you know.

In any case, piano psychology being somewhat of an inexact science, the
final score for the dive can be computed by multiplying the length and
breadth of the resulting debris field. The size and number of the
recoverable pieces can also be factored in if necessary in the event of a tie.

This covers most of the basic phenomena of whole piano ballistics, except
for a rather more notably distinguished episode of Northern Exposure in
which a piano was flung into the weeds with much ado and outstanding result.
Maybe next month we can further explore the subject in the interior of an
otherwise well behaved and stationary piano. There's a lot of stuff slinging
around, and it's not just because it's an election year.

 Ron Nossaman