Funny Tuner Stories

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@nau.edu
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 15:11:17 -0700

John Ross wrote:

> My wife had a call from a woman wanting her piano tuned, it had not been
> tuned in forty years. She wanted to know if she had to bring it to me to
> be tuned.  She was relieved to find out I could go there, as she told my
> wife, she had no way to move it.
> I would be interested in hearing other "Funny Tuner Stories".
> Regards,
> John M. Ross

About 3-4 years ago I had a client once who had a spinet that had not
been tuned in at least 40+ years. When I arrived I found it about 80
cents or so flat. Remarkably it was still some-what in tune with itself.
Anyway, I explained to the lady that it would probably require several
pitch raises over the next few weeks to pull it up and get it stable
again. About that time her elderly mother (who she inherited the piano
from), walked into the room. She comment was.... "Oh, I didn't know
pianos had to be tuned. I thought that the all tuning was done at the
factory. Do you mean that they need to be tuned a couple of times after
that?"

Rob Goodale, RPT