coil tapping

JIMRPT JIMRPT@aol.com
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:00:34 EDT

Richard, et al;
 The area of coil tapping/evening has led to the employment of so many
different techniques/tools that it would probably take a small book to list
them all.
  What I use is a piece of galvanized pipe ( with one end capped. I have two
sizes for different sized pins.  The business end will have to be drilled out
to fit whatever size pin you want to use it on. Do not make it.... too....
big.  The metal in the pipe is substantially softer than the wire so you have
to  hit the thing relatively  hard to break a string. (no, don't ask)
  I angle the end of the pipe to fit the desired angle of the final coil with
an index mark over the point that goes on top of the becket (short side).
With a 'light' tap or two, using a 4 oz. hammer, the coil is set. When the
becket is reached you can hear the difference in the sound and the softer
metal in the pipe will give before deforming the string. When the becket is
reached the coil will conform to what- ever angle you have put in the pipe and
you'll look to check but after awhile you will learn that it is not needful to
do so.  Works nicely, try it you will like it :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)