Pianovelle and Temperament

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 03:25:18 -0500

I second Gordon's interest.  I have spread sheets that give cents
deviations for a few historical tunings, such as the Braid White Meantone,
in Piano Tuning and Allied Arts, and a basic Pythagorean pure fifths which
I have not seen published, but conforms to that derivation of the diatonic
scale.  (It may be the one Jorgensen refered to as "Medieval Pythagorean"
but did not give the specs.)
These spread sheets give the beats of ALL the intervals used by aural
tuners.
	If the Pianovelle gives out midi files in different temperaments that
woud be interesting. Accoustic recordings would also be interesting.
	If your meeting is in Las Cruces NM, I am too far away.  Sounds like a
great project.  I hope recordings can be made and midi files saved.
	May I ask in absent, can the Pianovelle be programmed to accept a tuning
formula other than the twelth root of two?  ie can it give a tuning based
on the twelth root of 2.004, or 2.03?  If so , Jim Coleman's Pure Fifths
Temperament should by tweeking that number, sound in such a way  that even
he will wonder why the octaves sound as pure as the fifths.
Richard Moody

http://www.cadvision.com/Home_Pages/accounts/liszt/SikesdiPressWebpage.html