Stability concerns

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 21:23:17 -0600

Hi Jim,

I was speaking of tapping the coils--actually *lift* tapping would be most
correct as I have a nice tool which works on an impact basis. Mike Swendsen
for anyone who wants one.

The purpose of the discussion not to blast any particular make or type of
piano. It is an ongoing concern aobut what to do for the *best* bang for the
buck, and also the *order* in which to do various items...a la chicken/egg!

At 08:07 PM 4/20/98 EDT, you wrote:

>In a message dated 4/20/98 12:59:52 PM, baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca wrote:
>
><<We have all
>seen pianos out there with bad coils that have reasonable tuning
>stability???????  However with poor bridge seating, stability and clean
>unisons is imposible.>>
>
>Roger I agree with you and I agree with Don...........During restringing I
>find that coil tapping/leveling/setting disturbs the pitch much more than does
>setting bridges. BUT.....Unless you set the bridges you will not get the
>cleanest unisons possible.  That is where I agree with you both.
>
>  Back to nomenclature :-( ............When Don said "Tightening tuning pin
>coils" what I immediately thought of was the "tightening" of the coils with a
>coil "tightener" and not tapping/leveling/evening out the coils with a coil
>"setter".  These are two completly different operations.
>
>Don which were you speaking of?
>
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Regards,
"Tuner for the Centre of the Arts"