Was Re: Coil tapping

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 22:12:26 -0400

At 06:48 PM 4/20/98, you wrote:
<snip>
> As a dealer I expect contract techs to do a certain amount of this type of
>work free gratis and with self pride. I think that I'm more than fair with
>regards to their payment, in return my sales force is very pro active in
>building their business. Simply put one hand washes the other.

As a tech, I charge full price to a dealer, regardless.  I see them as JUST
another customer. Maybe I have too much work, but I do not Give it away
except to charitable organizations. If they see the value in my work, they
know they will get their money's worth.

<snip>I consider tapping strings part of the tuning process on grands.

Every time?

> As an organisation we are a little too internalised, if we are to grow
>into an effective leader in this industry, we have to stop counting
>nickels,
Pay your Techs!
>and start a broader education of those around us. This can be
>achieved by doing the little things  that make a difference, it can be the
>best advertising and promotional buck that you will ever spend.
Pay your Techs, a solvent workforce speaks for itself.
>The extra  15 to 20min that you spend on a piano doing these things
>will set you apart from the run of the mill competitor, and increase your
>retention rate, after all, repeat business is the name of the game in our
>profession.
>
> Perhaps I'm a purist.
>Roger

Thank you for the pep talk on diminishing wages.

PS Don't I sound like a 'Union' guy or what.

Roger, I've heard this reasoning from dealers before.
Thanks, but . . .