Was Re: Coil tapping

Gregory Torres Tunapiana@adisfwb.com
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 15:06:35 -0700

Jim,

I see a lot of new pianos with coils higher on one side of the pin than the
other which when tapped down the pitch drops dramatically. New Samick grands
in particular seem to suffer from this.(not a put-down folks-just an
observation-flame suit is ready :-) I do not get in the habit of tapping them
down as this would create a floor tuning nightmare. But when I restring or
loosen a set of dead bass strings to "liven" up I always use a stringing hook
to pull the coils tight and after pulling up to pitch tap them down with the
impact coil tightener. Then I pull them up to pitch  again and it is amazing
how stable they are after that.  In this case I also tap the bass string loops
down to the plate.