Kimball console dampers

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 12:40:45 -0700 (MST)

Hi Wallace:

One problem which has been encountered is that when a damper rod hanger
bracket breaks, the dampers will not lift at the same time. Kimball has
replacement parts for that case. You still have to punch out the broken
part and swedge in the new part. This requires removeing the action,
removing the rod etc.

Another type of misalignment can happen when the Bass strings in time
more nearly conform to the curvature of the upper Agraffe pins and
the strings move toward the treble side causing dampers and hammers to
be out of alignment. However this is not nearly as bad as the old upright
pianos which had wooden V-bar attachments with agraffe pins and notchings
similar to bridges which would move to the treble side after the glue joint
failed and the wood was depending only upon the 4 screws to hold it in
place.

It was not quite clear in which way your dampers were not aligned. Is it
during lift or is the problem from side to side, or are they twisted or
tilted in too much at the top?

Jim Coleman, Sr.