case parts (was Hammer Butt parts)

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 07:30:23

Hi, Ron

>>However, if you ever have been playing when the key cover overbalances and
>>lands on your hand, you'll have no trouble remembering to call it the fall
>>board.
>>
>>Susan Kline
>

>Let's hear it for the 'slow fall' system Kawai, and now Yamaha, use. Great
>idea, long overdue. Fingers (and grands) aside, the Acrosonic spinet has an
>'eitherseer' that lets you see either the keys, or the hammers... but not
>both at once. Just one of many instances of aberrant case design. I think
>Baldwin and Wurlitzer used to get case designers by hiring failed traffic
>engineers who were too flaky even to work in Wichita. Then again, evidence
>suggests that traffic engineers can't GET too flaky to work in Wichita, so
>what prompted the production of all the 'inaccessability' features in case
>desigh through the years? It's frustrating to make it through all the
>transportational death traps, only to have to deal with Rubic's Case when I
>get there. Maybe I'm just being touchy.
>
> Ron Nossaman

Ah, yes, those pianos with "inaccessability" features, which I call the
Chinese Puzzle Box pianos. And never forget the Kimball consoles designed
by their furniture department, which toss the music into your lap because
the music desk is slanted at _such_ an artistic angle ...

To name the Acrosonic system the "eitherseer" is a stroke of genius. I tend
to use it as a "halfseer", though, where you can half-see both the keys and
the hammers. That way it can get in the way of what you're doing to both at
once.

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"I'm glad there are at least some things somewhere that I don't have to do
today."
		-- Ashleigh Brilliant