Hammer Butt parts

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 07:13:37 -0500 (CDT)

>>I dunno why the trap board is usually called the bottom board, or the
>>bottom pannel is called everything but...
>>	Now if someone could explain why the key cover is called the fall
>>board.......
>>Richard Whatsinaname Moody
>
>For most of the variations in names, all one can say is, "go figure".
>
>However, if you ever have been playing when the key cover overbalances and
>lands on your hand, you'll have no trouble remembering to call it the fall
>board.
>
>Susan Kline

Let's hear it for the 'slow fall' system Kawai, and now Yamaha, use. Great
idea, long overdue. Fingers (and grands) aside, the Acrosonic spinet has an
'eitherseer' that lets you see either the keys, or the hammers... but not
both at once. Just one of many instances of aberrant case design. I think
Baldwin and Wurlitzer used to get case designers by hiring failed traffic
engineers who were too flaky even to work in Wichita. Then again, evidence
suggests that traffic engineers can't GET too flaky to work in Wichita, so
what prompted the production of all the 'inaccessability' features in case
desigh through the years? It's frustrating to make it through all the
transportational death traps, only to have to deal with Rubic's Case when I
get there. Maybe I'm just being touchy.

 Ron Nossaman