nomenclature

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 13:03:47 -0500 (CDT)

> Ted Sambell mentioned the trems "kickboard" and "bottom board". I'd
>always referred to the latter when thinking of the removeable board
>above the pedals. I ordered a "bottom board" once from Kimball and got
>the board one attaches the pedal brackets to. To Kimball, this was the
>"bottom board". The one I wanted was the "knee board". Now, I try to
>call it by that term.
>
>Philip Jamison
>West Chester, PA

Actually, Philip, the board where the pedals are mounted in vertical pianos
is generally understood by by me to be the bottom board.  I have never
heard of any other names.

However, in going through some old files, I found these names for the
informal "knee board" name to which you refer.

Bottom door
(Kimball)

Bottom panel
(Kohler)

Lower front board
(Yamaha, Young Chang)

Lower front panel
(Wurlitzer)

Lower panel
(Kawai)

What can I say.  I had time to spare.   :-)

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731