Fire damage

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@nau.edu
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 10:22:49 -0700

David ilvedson wrote:

> Went to look a 100 year old Steinway upright, model K, that I
> tuned a few years ago but was recently in a fire.  It was a mess
> with lots of veneer lifting etc.  It was rosewood and now looks
> more of an ebony color.  My first reaction is strip off the
> veneer and spray in black...the insides are surprisingly in good
> shape although the strings are showing some red rust.  My
> question is can the veneer be repaired after it has had some
> intense heat and water exposure?

Two issues come to mind in regards to my experience with burned
wood/veneer:

1. It is very difficult- often impossible to sand down burned wood clean
again. Although the "black" layer may come off, often a brown
"burned-look" seems to penetrate deep into the wood. All of the sanding
in the world won't get rid of it. I have never tried bleaching, but I
think re-wetting the already loose veneer with bleach would probably
just add to your problems.

2. It is a very challenging job to try and match damaged/missing veneer.
It is tough enough on a "normal" old piano case. Trying to match burned
veneer on a 100 year old piano (which is even harder since today's
veneer is typically thinner and comes from different forests), would
probably be exceptionally difficult.

It may be difficult if not impossible to repair this veneer if it is
simply too-far gone, especially if it is peeling. If the customer REALLY
wants rosewood again, it may be easier and with much better results to
just strip ALL of the veneer off and re-veneer the instrument with new.
Otherwise I think I would refinish it in ebony.

Anyway, just an opinion. Best of luck with it.

Rob Goodale, RPT