REPORT: CA challenge results

BSimon1234 BSimon1234@aol.com
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 02:46:38 EDT

REPORT:

Results of "CA challenge" treatment on a temporary grand. (?) It was to be
used for a performance in 5 days, then auctioned off the day after, just to
get rid of it.

Piano - Emerson grand, most pins so loose they would unwind and leave the note
an octave low. Formerly heavily overtreated with Garfields tightener (dried
pools of the stuff on the plate). No pin bushings, allowing easier fill of
plate holes around pins.

Day one:
Pulled action, protected keybed with foil and paper towels  (found to be
necessary) and treated the pinblock with thin  Seth Smith brand  CA resin
superglue.  Used lots of superglue, about three ounces, but without
accelerator. Glue was wicking into the serial number hole, making the edges of
it looking wet.  Kept filling until level started to come up in the holes.
Difficult to do well with such thin glue, ready to drip out in the wrong
places. Left action out of piano overnight.

Day two:
Pin torque on almost every pin was marginal. Perhaps 18-20 inch pounds, some
far greater. Pitch raised and rough tuned. Treated a number of pins again.

Day four:
Came for final tunings before performance. Pin torque was generally lower than
on day two. Many were 12-15 inch/lbs, with 20-30 pins were just barely
holding. Too late to do more, eased those pins into holding. The pianist was
delighted with the piano for the performance, but I don't see how.

Results:
Did not work well enough. Perhaps too  for gone, too compromised with
Garfield's.  I would  like to have flipped the piano and treated it from below
with slightly heavier CA glue, which I think might have worked, but did not
have the opportunity. The piano is gone, I don't know where. I pity the poor
sot that tries to get the pinblock off the plate. If anyone reports on the
sucess of this procedure, I would appreciate knowing the brand of glue and the
amount used.

Reported in response to the helpful posts to me before I treated the piano.

Bill Simon
Phoenix