Steinway Evaluation

Stan Kroeker skroeker@mts.net
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 16:22:06 -0500

I am preparing to assess a 1969 Steinway 'B' for a new client and would
appreciate some advice on arriving at a reasonable value for this
instrument.  Winnipeg is not exactly a hotbed of high-end piano sales but
this client will be moving to Florida shortly and has already made some
contacts there who are interested in the piano.

My usual approach in these cases, which I understand is shared by some of
you, is to first of all assess the deterioration in the instrument, assign
a value to restore it to 'original' condition and then subtract that figure
from it's optimum value.  However, what is the 'optimum value' of a 29 year
old B?

I have had some success in similar situations by taking the value of a new
instrument and then reducing that figure by approximately 5% per year in
order to arrive at a ballpark 'optimum value'.  What do B's sell for new?
Are there 'hot' markets where the same piano would sell at premium pricing?

By the way, this client tells me that the piano has been inscribed by both
Oscar Peterson and Henry Steinway.

Any advice?

Regards,

Stan Kroeker