Hammer Butt Alignment

DaleP34429 DaleP34429@aol.com
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 16:38:24 EDT

In a message dated 4/16/98 2:03:06 PM EST, atodd@UH.EDU writes:

<<
    Next week sometime, I'll be installing a set of hammers/shanks/butts
 on a Mason & Hamlin vertical. Something I have not figured out yet,
 probably because I haven't done enough verticals, is how to end up with
 a nice straight line of butt catchers when you're finished.
    I install hammers by gluing the shanks into the hammer first so as to
 be sure of a good glue joint/collar. There is always some play at the
 shank/butt area, so how does one end up with the shanks on the rest rail
 and the butt catchers still nice and level (such as on a Yamaha or other
 carefully built piano)?
    In the 3-4 yrs. I've been on the list, I don't remember seeing this
 talked about. Suggestions? Ideas? Thanks.

 Avery

 ___ >>

Hi Avery,

I use two straight edges-one on the catchers and one on the hammer rail.
Install sample hammers at the end of each section and clamp a straight edge to
the catchers to use in aligning them. Set the other straight edge between the
hammer rest rail felt and the sample hammer shanks. Use the play you mentioned
to align the catchers and the hammers with the respective straight edges. Like
Carl Root, I use hot hide for this job.

Good luck,

Dale

Dale Probst