hard pounding

Bill Ballard yardbird@sover.net
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 14:45:54 -0400

"Kenneth W. Burton" <kwburton@calcna.ab.ca> wrote, 4/12:
>	Jim and all,
>	I have been studying and experimenting with different hammer
>techniques for quite a few years (as perhaps we all have) and I feel that
>the biggest problem in tuning technique is getting the pin to turn in the
>block without turning too far.
>	I realize that every piano is different but does anyone have a new
>effective way of overcoming this "static friction" in order to move the
>pins in smaller steps?

The basic mechanical principles are constant. As pinblock grip (tuning pin
friction) increases, the more the top end of the pin will have to turn
before the bottom end (in thepinblock) finally gets to move. It's a matter
of the pin torsion overcoming pinblock grip.

The challenge as I see it  is not in how to twist the top end enough so
that the bottom end will move. Rather it is to guess what turn at the top
will turn the bottom an amount equal to what the top end *should* have
turned in order to make the required wire change in the speaking length.
The variables are string and tuning pin friction, the desireed amount of
tension change in the speaking lkength, and  (last but not least) our
competence.

Bill Ballard, RPT
New Hampshire Chapter, PTG

"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture"
         Steve Martin