meeting-Providence?/Horace

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Thu, 09 Apr 1998 22:14:50

At 10:52 PM 4/9/98 EDT, Jim wrote:

>In a message dated 4/9/98 9:26:44 PM, Billbrpt@aol.com wrote:
>
><<I'm sure you that you would have preferred that I never bring up the things
>that I have but that's what this List is for.>>
>
>Bill;
> You can't be "sure" of what I "would have preferred" and it is the height of
>arrogance to say that you are.  You ignore what I say, and add words, and
>meanings, to my thoughts that I never said and you do it with the posts of
>others also. The fact that you don't always get a rebuttal from your targets
>does not mean that they agree or anyone else agrees, or disagrees for that
>matter.
>  I am beginning to have serious doubts as to what 'you' believe the purpose
>of this list is. I believed it was about the thoughtful exchange of ideas,
>opinions, and experiences, and even occasional humor, and not the pushing of
>personal attacks and acrimonius utterings on the remainder of the
subscribers.
>Am I incorrect here?  I do know that the constant personal BS from some
>quarters is getting old.
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Jim --

It got old A LONG TIME AGO!

Two questions do occur to me:

(1) Why would Horace, or anyone else for that matter, care to answer a long
post chockful of biased questions, quite transparently intended to entrap
and discredit him?

(2) Why would someone who sees himself acting as a lawyer (by his own
admission) have such a blind spot when it comes to what constitutes
defamation of character?

Consider the choices open to all of us:

Shall we ask questions like a philosopher would, seeking truth wherever it
leads us?

Shall we ask questions like a scientist, observing natural laws in the
world around us, with respect and love?

Shall we ask questions like an artist, seeking to understand beauty?

Shall we ask questions like a friend, to help and be helped by our fellows?

Given these choices, what appeal could there possibly be to asking
questions like a prosecuting attorney?

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"What goes up must come down but what comes down often wants to go back up."
		-- Ashleigh Brilliant