String Levelling guestions

Bill Ballard yardbird@sover.net
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 23:07:05 -0400

On Tue, 7 Apr,  A440A <A440A@aol.com> wrote:
>Since all three strings are coupled at the bridge, this translates into a
>energy
>transfer situation, with strings giving and taking acoustic energy from one
>another, attempting to resolve on one point.  There are energy/impedance
>values that oscillate back and forth between coupled strings vibrating at
>varying amplitudes.

Anyone interested in the sound resulting from an unstruck string absorbing
energy from its partners? Put on the U.C. In the middle of the piano
(trichord plain steel, if you were wondering), gently mute out the LH
string, play the note activating the center and RH strings. Allow the tone
to bloom, then release the mute on the LH string. Now gently extinguish the
tone from the two struck strings (center & RH) and mute them. What remains
is the waveform on the LH string, originating in the struck strings and fed
to it by the bridge.

Mind you, an open string has to be pretty bad to be completely unstruck by
the hammer. That component of the open string's tone can be heard by
striking the note in the standard position and muting out the other two. I
do a lot of string-by-string listening.

Bill Ballard, RPT
New Hampshire Chapter, PTG

"No one builds the *perfect* piano, you can only remove the obstacles to
that perfection during the building."    ...........LaRoy Edwards