When to level ?

JIMRPT JIMRPT@aol.com
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 15:01:11 EDT

List;
 Mike has a point in what he is saying, i.e. how much "leveling can a string
take before it breaks.

  Just for grins my leveling indicators are:
1. Whenever a string is replaced.
2. On newly strung pianos.
3. On a major regulating/voicing job.
4. On first time service, where the quality of the piano warrants it.
5. When tone quality of 'indivdual' notes indicates the need for it.
6. On a 'major' pitch change.
7. On service for 'some' concert/recording studio work.

my contraindicators (don't level) are
1. Pianos that I service on a regular basis.
2. Pianos where the customer says "just tune it where its at".
3. Pianos that have more urgent needfully addressed problems than string
    leveling.
4. Pianos where the expected outcome will be 'average' or 'just acceptable'
    without regard to whether the strings are level or not.
5. On those occasions where time constraints force you into making a choice of
what to leave out.
-------

  I am sure that this list can be added to or subtracted from by yourself to
make it closer to what you expect/do. Of couse there are always exceptions!
  In my opinion string leveling is a function of 'needfullness' and not an
'every' service need.  There will be slight variations of string height in the
'normal' course of events but they will 'normally' be in the area of
acceptability.
  Or put another way.....if you pull out your string hook as often as you pull
out your tuning hammer you are probably overdoing it. (my opinion)
Jim Bryant (FL)