Crumbly Black Corfam

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Mon, 06 Apr 1998 16:09:19 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Richard,

>He has a customer whose Baldwin vertical contains synthetic buckskin which,
>from searching the archives, I believe to be called Corfam.

   I'm not sure that the black stuff they used is Corfam. Anyway, I know
what you mean. I got stuck with that on a Baldwin Studio I purchased from
the dealer that was helping train me over 20 yrs. ago.

>This stuff isn't hard however, it's getting crumbly and gooey.

   Mine never got "gooey", but it did get that black stuff all over
everything. Outside of the mess, the only problem I ever had because of it
was lack of good checking and bobbling hammers on soft blows after it began
to crumble and get smooth. About 10 yrs. or so ago, I cleaned it up as good
as I could and replaced it with the current replacement material that
Baldwin has and, I believe, still furnishes at no cost to you. Someone
correct me if
I'm wrong.
   If your friend has no experience doing this job, Rob Kiddell has a good
'technical document' about it on his web page that would be good reading.
The address is:

                http://www.planet.eon.net/~atonal/techdoc.html

>His question is, "Once this sort of deterioration begins, how long does it
>take to progress to the *awful mess* stage?"  And, should he push to do it
>quickly or can he and his customer afford to wait awhile?
>
>Sincerely,
>
>		Richard Wagner RPT

   I'll have to leave this for someone else to answer since mine never got
to that stage.

Avery

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4893
713-743-3226
atodd@uh.edu
http://www.music.uh.edu/

o  Offer expires December 31 or while supplies last. (Classified Ad)