String Levelling guestions

Mon, 06 Apr 1998 08:35:41 -0700

Richard Moody wrote:

> So then do you mean we (oops that damn word again) are bending piano
> strings to make up for lousey agraffes?

Might I suggest that "we" are doing a lot of bending of piano strings to make up for lousy
string termination design. Most pianos being built today use agraffes that are very
similar, both in design and in manufacture. Yet some pianos have major string leveling and
termination problems and others do not. It fact, some piano designs using agraffes from
the same manufacturer have string termination problems requiring much string fussing and
leveling and others do not. There are ways to design out most of the common string
termination buzzes, whistles, twangs, etc. When you're out in Mrs. Jones living room, of
course, none of this matters. It's too late.

> And  it should not be a problem in uprights, or in the pressure bar section?
> Richard Moody

And there is a reason why these problems are not generally found in the upright piano
designs. With the notable exceptions, of course, of those designs that attempt to use
tuned aliquot string segments. As designed today, most vertical pianos have inherently
superior string termination systems compared to those commonly found in grand pianos. (For
more on this subject, see my articles in the Journal of a couple of years back.)

-- ddf