String Levelling guestions

ETomlinCF3 ETomlinCF3@aol.com
Sun, 5 Apr 1998 17:38:16 EDT

Richard asks a lot of questions.  I will not answer all but give some reasons
for it.  I am not sure when the practice began but know that it works.  You
ask if it is necessary.   I feel it is the cause for at least 20% OR More of
the voicing problems we have as tuners.  If a hammer excites two of the three
strings before the third and hits the third softer and not solid it excites
the string in a different mannor.  The partials don't ring the same and  you
can have a "wang".(official tech talk)  Don't level by bending the string... I
use a tool that is sold by Schaff affectionately called the Mannino hook.  It
was recomended to me by LeRoy at Yamaha.  It is a great tool.  I massage the
string up more than I would yank.(more official tech verbage)  Do not reeeef
on the string to level just massage it up.  You must have shaped the hammers
perfect before even starting this process for good result.  Block the hammer
and then pluck the strings and see if any ring...level then check again.  If
you have a piano in tune and strings that appear level after checking and the
shape of hammers are good then and only then do you start to "voice" the
hammers.  To many of us grab the needles and start to jab when the problem is
likely not found in the hammer at all.

My two cents,

Ed Tomlinson