String Levelling guestions

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sun, 05 Apr 1998 11:33:50

Jim Bryant wrote:

> If this is the case we must make value
>judgements in each case, and in my opinion, on the average piano service the
>voicing of hammers takes precedence over the leveling of strings.  I know the
>two go hand in hand but there is not always time to do both and we should do
>the one that creates the best result as a stand alone thing when there is
time
>for just one to be done.
<snip>
>one often covers the other so what to do? what to do??? :-)
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Since we seem to be talking about less than perfect situations, where there
isn't time to do everything right, we are straying towards my "junk" area,
so I will opine:

When the two steps work with each other, and there is time for either one
but not both, split the process a different way: do both, but start with
the worst notes and continue on to the less egregiously offensive, until
the time is up. Leave the rest till your next visit, if next visit there
will be.

This, IMHO, will yield maximum cost-benefit. As Jim says,

> 'do first that which returns
>the largest degree of desired results'.

(just my take on it ...)

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"What goes up must come down but what comes down often wants to go back up."
		-- Ashleigh Brilliant