Left-Handed piano (no joke)

Gordon Rumson rumsong@cadvision.com
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 23:25:25 -0700

>Rob wrote:
>> Here's one to try on your clients today...
>> "A major piano manufacturer has announced the production of "left-handed
>> pianos". The bass will be on the right side, and the treble on the
>> left".  ;-)

Greetings,

This has been done before.  I located a concert announcement from England
in the late 1800s of a concert with a two manual piano where the keyboards
were in opposite directions of pitch.

Further, the Baldwin Pianovelle (an electronic piano currently available)
has a tuning function called INVERSE which does this to the keyboard.

"There is nothing (or very little) new under the sun."

All best wishes,

Gordon Rumson

Canadian Pianist and Composer

Founder and Proprietor of Sikesdi Press
Music Publishers of the "New and Little Known"
Music by Sorabji, Johansen, Mellers, Flynn, ApIvor and others.
http://www.cadvision.com/Home_Pages/accounts/liszt/SikesdiPressWebpage.html