separated back

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 18:49:02 -0600 (CST)

>...Please correct any of the following, which outlines what I would
>probably do:
>1.  Let the tension down (is this necessary?)  2.  Shield the piano
>interior from dirt.  3.  Work slow-setting epoxy into the crack as much
>as possible.  4.  Pull the top together with 4-5 huge clamps which I
>need to buy somewhere.  5.  Remove the plate screws across the top edge,
>to be replaced with carriage bolts.  4.  Drill through the entire back
>to take carriage bolts big enough to do the job (what diameter?).  5.
>Insert and snug up the carriage bolts, remove the clamps, tune the
>piano, and that's it (or should I wait a couple days for the epoxy to
>work?).
>
>Your help and comments will be appreciated.  Thank you.
>
>Clyde Hollinger, RPT
>Lititz, PA

Looks like you have a pretty good handle on what needs to be done, Clyde.

I probably wouldn't lower the tension though.  I'd take a reading to see
where pitch was at and watch for a change when I did a dry run on the
clamping thing with the top lid removed.  If I saw a dramatic change in
pitch taking place, only then would I lower the tension somewhat.

As to diameter of carriage bolts, how about using the diameter of the hole
in the plate as your guideline.  Something just shy in diameter of that
hole.  And if you develop a concern about removing all the plate screws at
once, you can do one at a time.

If time is on your side, I'd wait for a 24 hour period before removing
clamps and tuning.  If not, remove them and tune away.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731