Up & Down

Mon, 29 Sep 1997 22:33:56 -0700

> In a message dated 97-09-29 15:08:55 EDT, pianoserv440@juno.com writes:
>
> 3.  What do you think of the possibility of the baseboard heater behind
> the piano causing some/most/all??? of this problem.  The air from the
> heater is kept against the wall by the "shield" mentioned in the first
> post until the air is above the piano.  I have a hard time believing that
> this is the problem.  ----- Comments?????
>   >>

My first field tuning in a real customers home was on a new Everett
console. It was in January or February (come on, it was 25 years ago--my
memory's not THAT good). Anyway, I'd struggle through the temperment and
work my way up into the treble and suddenly the whole thing would go to
pot. So, being fairly certain it was my inexperience that was at fault,
I'd start over only to have the same thing happen again. Finally, I
actually did make it all the way up to C-88 and, just before I left it
to go back down and start on the bass, a blast of hot air hit me in the
face. The piano was sitting directly in front of a forced air heating &
cooling register.

I called the owner in to explain the problem. She listened to my tale of
woe. And then she explained to me that the store's piano mover had
assured her that the piano looked very good right where it was and that
this was the best place for it in the whole room for the piano since it
was not against an outside wall and that if I couldn't tune the piano
properly, well, she would just call someone who could.

Ah, well...

--ddf